In October 2010 I and a colleague set up a podcast, named ‘Time out with Niall and Zayn’. It is a global sports podcast that looks at both major sporting events, some of the lesser known sporting events and also the stories that are behind the events.
We are also setting up a blog in conjunction with the podcast. The blog will give us another way of connecting to the audience, and will be linked to the podcast, although not the exact same content.
While both of us will be using the podcast and the blog to form the community that we want to connect to, we both plan to use different strategies to gain this audience. My colleague plans to tap into the community that already exists at places such as http://www.realclearsports.
While he is looking into that strategy, I plan to utilise social media and other forms of communication on the web to help spread the word about our podcast. I plan to utilise our twitter and facebook page to build up a rapport with the people who regularly listen, and give them a place to engage with us, both to inform and criticise what we do. These will be in conjunction with the comments that will be posted underneath the blog and the podcast.
What I really want to find out in this assignment is how the Global Sports community uses social media, whether Facebook is more important than Twitter for example, and how these new forms of media have helped people follow sports on the other side of the world.